Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chapter One - Day One: Discovering the joys of drawing

Day one and I’m ready.
I enthusiastically grab my pencils and an old sketch pad that I found tucked away in my moms portfolio. The pencils I have, are a set of artist graphic pencils I bought about a year ago, that go from an F to 9B. I’m assuming that should just about cover it?  The first couple of pages just cover the basics of the book, how to work through it, what the little icons on the sides of the pages mean and so on. At the moment my pencil is burning a hole in my hand, but I said I would practice patience - so fine print I heart you!

One of the things that sticks out, is that a foolish assumption would be to think you need to draw fairly well to in order to take up drawing... Well good! because I’m about at stickman level and need to step this up a notch! Being in the creative industry and not been able to draw doesn't always put me in the drivers seat, so here goes...show me how to draw!

I continue to read discovering the joys of Drawing! Wonderful, I’m reassured on every page, told that I will have a unique style that I’m to embrace and that there is no right or wrong way! Perfect, why have I waited so long to find my inner Picasso!  I’m encouraged to experiment with new media and styles all the time and to constantly challenge myself. This all sounds great and I’m totally revved - turn over the page and WHAM project 1: Wooly Woo.

Wooly Who? Apparently you cant make a mistake with this and I quote “Dust Bunny” So pencils up, HB and 6B are what are needed for this project. There is great step by step illustrated and worded guide to work through. Very simple and easy.

At the end of drawing my Wooly Woo, I’m told to date it and sign it. One big fat pat on my back, not quite like the book but maybe perhaps as the book suggests a very distant cousin!  Job done!
The verdict: simple and easy to follow instruction with lots of encouragement. I think I can feel my little artist growing inside of me. Bring on Day two.

Below is physical evidence of the Wooly Woo:
Books version of  Wooly Woo
His distant cousin Wooly What
(Please note: that photo examples are taken from "Drawing for Dummies by Brenda Hoddinott'' and the  above views are not representative of her and are purely based on a 3rd party view being Me! All snippets taken directly from the book are stated as been so) 

No comments:

Post a Comment