Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chapter Two - Day Two: Nurturing the Artist within Me

Ok so here starts the serious stuff. In chapter two we cover topics like drawing preferences. These are influenced by all sorts of things like personal philosophies and perceptions, the mediums I chose to work in and... how I hold my pencil?  Again the article takes us through detailed illustrated guides that show me the difference in the types of mediums you can use and detailed sketches on how to hold my pencil correctly. The new pencil grips are a little strange but I’m assured a little practice will make it feel natural in no time.

Next we move on to how to set up a creative corner to work in and how to go about scheduling drawing time.  This has to be your number one priority to put you in the lead while trying to learn to draw. The art of drawing is half skill and half determination. So with my little corner set up in the dinning room, a lever arch file to prop my sketchpad up, appropriate lighting and of course my Ipod, I think I'm finally ready! According to the book music helps block out distractions and allows you to concentrate on the drawing at hand, so nows a great time to invest in an Ipod and a good set of speakers.

Next we move on to finding time for drawing, and it’s suggested that you diarize it as you would any other important appointments. So far so good, got my space and my schedule. Next I’m off to the shops to buy a few supplies that are needed in order to start, these are just the necessities so no need to spend loads setting yourself up. I got everything for R 78, roughly about £ 7 or $ 11, keeping in mind I did have a few supplies already namely the sketch pad and pencil set.

The necessities are, a sketchbook (Acid-free very NB), Pencils (at least a 2H, HB, 2B, 4B & 6B), a mechanical pencil or two with 0.2 and 0.7 lead, Erasers (your normal white one, and then 2 kneaded erasers - 1 for pencil & 1 for charcoal) I’m told prestic/blue tack can also work, a pencil sharpener, a ruler (preferably metal - they are easier to clean) and lastly charcoal (charcoal pencils and sticks).  She does go on to list a few more items under what she calls the wish list, these are things like coloured pencils, chalk pastels etc I’m not even going to venture there yet until I have the basics sorted.

Finally...after all that I’m at the next drawing project: Project 2: The pupil of Iris.
I completed this in about 4 seconds after colouring in like a 4 year old, the only advantage I had is that I’ve learnt to stay in between the lines!

PATIENCE!

I take a deep breath and try again, trying to use more controlled movements. I had a vague flash back of someone telling me you could shade either using small short strokes, tiny circles or a cross-hatch effect - I try all three. Much better. I will warn you now though I do have many a flash back of someone telling me something apparently useful and true. I take no responsibility for the validity of these fun filled ‘‘facts’’ or even weather anyone even told anything :)

So with Chapter 2 complete and still feeling good; apart from my minor toddler set-back (I have had a chat with myself about patience once again)
I think I’m ready for the next one!
My 4 year old madness
My second attempt at shading using the 3 different techniques
How it should be done! 
(Please note: that photo examples are taken from "Drawing for Dummies by Brenda Hoddinott'' and the  above views are not representative of her and are purely based on a 3rd party view being Me! All snippets taken directly from the book are stated as been so) 

No comments:

Post a Comment